Summer Leadership Academy
This unpaid 10-week Leadership Academy provides a unique learning opportunity for hardworking, passionate, future leaders to gain hands-on exposure to county party politics, strengthen their understanding of the political process, and prepare for political opportunities. In addition to typical duties, applicants will have the chance to assist at HCDP functions; participate in grassroots efforts, such as Phone banks, Precinct Chair Trainings and Voter Registration Drives. Chosen applicants will learn organizational management systems and event planning practices. They will learn how to effectively manage data, in addition to cultivating volunteers.
- Assist with event planning (Research potential venues, guest speakers, etc.); on-site execution including set up/break down of event)
- Learn how to maintain databases, lists, and event calendar using NGP VAN (i.e. volunteer list, election judge list)
- Recruit, train, and manage volunteers to build our volunteer capacity
- Assist with planning and coordination of training sessions and meetings for volunteers and activists
- Assist in coordinating voter registration drives and phone banks
- Participate in parades and festivals with the HCDP
- Help with tasks in other areas as needed
- An interest in politics and identify as a Democrat or Progressive
- Quick to learn & keen attention to detail
- Basic technological proficiency (Microsoft Excel, Google Spreadsheet, etc)
- Aptitude for creative thinking and output
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to maintaining office standards of confidentiality and discretion
- Flexible schedule & ability to work at least 15 - 20 hours a week Mon-Fri (possibly weekends), in the HCDP HQ office at 4619 Lyons Ave, 77020
How to Apply:
The Harris County Democratic Party will begin accepting applications for the 2019 Summer Leadership Academy beginning on Monday, March 3.
The deadline to submit your application is Friday, May 24, 2019 at 6:00 P.M. at CST.