Become a Deputy Voter Registrar
The Harris County Democratic Party wants your help registering voters before the next election. Registering voters is quick, easy and provides a real service to the effort of turning Texas blue. Below are some details about what is required to be a Deputy Voter Registrar, and a list of upcoming trainings if you are interested in attending.
Texas election law provides for County Voter Registrars to designate individuals to assist in registering eligible voters. These individuals are appointed as volunteer deputy registrars and operate under state rules and supervision of the County Voter Regisrar. The Harris County Democratic Party encourages all that are eligible to become a volunteer deputy registrar.
To be eligible to serve as a volunteer deputy voter registrar, you must be?
- at least 18 years of age
- a citizen of the United States
- a resident of Texas
You must NOT be:
- determined by a probate court to be totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated and thereby without the right to vote.
- finally convicted of a felony or, if a felon, fully discharged of sentence, including any term of incarceration, parole, supervision, completed period of probation, or have been pardoned (Texas Election Code, §13.031(d)). A person is not considered to have been fully convicted of an offense if adjudication of guilt was deferred (H.B. 1226, 82nd Leg.).
- finally convicted of an identity theft offense (Texas Penal Code, § 32.51).
- finally convicted of a Class A misdemeanor relating to performance-based compensation for voter registration (Texas Election Code, §13.008).
By law, all volunteer registrar appointments expire on Dec.31 of even-numbered years. That means that if you registered voters last summer and haven't taken a class yet, you need to take the class again.
Training is mandatory for anyone who is interested in becoming a new or renewed volunteer deputy voter registrar. That means applicants must be retrained before they can be reappointed as a volunteer deputy voter registrar.
See our event calendar for additional trainings being hosted by Democratic Clubs and Organizations.
Click here to visit the official web page of the Harris County Tax Assessor-Collector & Voter Registrar page for becoming a volunteer deputy voter registrar.